Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Linux on slow computers Episode 2

The 2nd experiment that I did was install Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on my Pentium 3 256MB Ram. Comparatively to Vector Linux Standard Edition(XFCE), I liked Xubuntu better as to add/install softwares were easier and spiced up with graphics compared to Vector Linux which looked plain and old.

Speed was almost the same at first, but after I’ve downloaded and installed the softwares I needed to run on the computer (eg. Open Office, Mplayer and so on), it was slightly slower compared to Vector Linux. That’s the price we pay for graphics I guess. Overall, I would choose Vector Linux as it was faster but wait…. when I installed Vector Linux on my computer, I logged in using a different desktop environment which was Fluxbox. It was way faster and not bad looking. It will be hard at first to get used to it, but I do enjoy the speed and the graphics are ok. It has the AWN kind of dock or a dock like MAC, not exactly the same but almost and it is fast not slow like AWN.

I guess the nest would be Linux Mint(fluxbox) and Fluxbuntu. Why? It’s because it is based on Ubuntu so that means it would be easier to handle compared to Slackware and others which most people don’t want to learn. If you’re more into technology then you should try out something harder like downloading debian, gentoo, slackware or any other major distros and start from the basics.

Screenshot of Xubuntu:

Thunar

Xubuntu File Management : Thunar